Alec Baldwin did not call to investigate fatal shootout on set: authorities


Almost a month after an examining magistrate approved a search warrant for Alec Baldwin’s cell phone, the actor has still not complied with the order issued in connection with an investigation into a shootout on set that killed a director of photography and injured the director, authorities said.

“To date, the cell phone has not been returned to authorities,” the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement Thursday.

Sheriff officials in New Mexico also noted that the search warrant for Baldwin’s phone was approved by a Santa Fe County magistrate on December 16 and that Baldwin’s attorney acknowledged receipt of the warrant. The Santa Fe County District Attorney’s Office negotiated with Baldwin’s attorney to retrieve the phone and its contents.

“The sheriff’s office has been told that due to jurisdictional issues, the Santa Fe district attorney’s office will facilitate the recovery of the phone on a consent basis,” the agency statement said.

Baldwin released a video statement on his Instagram refuting allegations that he is not respecting the mandate.

“Any suggestion that I am not complying with requests or orders, or search warrants regarding my phone, is bullshit. It is a lie,” Baldwin said.

He said he and his lawyer go through a required process when a state requests information or evidence from a subject who lives in another state.

“It’s a time consuming process. They have to specify exactly what they want. They just can’t go through your phone and take, you know, your photos or your love letters to your wife or whatever. “said Baldwin. “But, of course, we’re going to be 1000% compliant with all of that. We’re, you know, totally okay with that.”

The news on Baldwin’s cell phone came as a behind-the-scenes gunsmith in the movie “Rust” filed a complaint alleging that the movie’s prop ammunition supplier was responsible for a live bullet loaded into a gun. gun that went off when held by Baldwin, fatally hitting cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and injuring director Joel Souza.

The gunsmith, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, filed a lawsuit Wednesday in a district court in New Mexico, naming Seth Kenney, founder and managing member of PDQ Arm & Prop LLC in Albuquerque, as the sole defendant.

In the lawsuit, filed in the Bernalillo County Second Judicial District Court, Gutierrez-Reed alleges that the live bullet that killed Hutchins on October 21 and which was surgically removed from Souza’s shoulder came from a box of Prop Kenney ammunition supplied to the film which was clearly marked as inert and dummy cartridges.

“The ammunition crates did not indicate any material fact, the contents contained both dummy and live ammunition, which were deceptively sold,” the lawsuit claims.

Gutierrez-Reed, 24, says she loaded the old Colt .45 caliber revolver with what she believed to be two dummy bullets from the box Kenney provided and four more she collected from her pocket.

“To the best of Hannah’s knowledge, the gun was now loaded with six dummy bullets,” the lawsuit said. “Hannah relied on the fact that the defendants would only provide dummy prop ammo or blanks, and no real bullets were ever to be on the set.”

Gutierrez-Reed maintains that the ammo box in question mysteriously appeared on the set on the morning of the fatal incident.

The lawsuit also contends that the “chaotic nature” of the film set, which included some members of the film crew who abruptly quit and quit work a day before the fatal incident, “created a perfect storm for a security incident “.

In an interview with ABC News days after the shooting, Kenney denied that the live bullet and other bullets found by investigators on set were from his company.

“It’s not a possibility that they are from the PDQ or from myself personally,” Kenney said. “When we send out dummy balls, they are individually tested before they are sent.”

In a new statement to ABC News released Wednesday after the lawsuit was filed, Kenney said, “Investigators carefully examined the inventory of PDQ Arms & Prop, LLC and concluded that PDQ’s portion of the dummy bullets and the drafts provided to ‘Rust’ was safe. “

“Accordingly,” the statement continued, “Seth Kenney and PDQ Arm & Prop, LLC have no interest in the ongoing investigation.”

In the trial, Gutierrez-Reed also recounts two instances where guns were accidentally unloaded on the set before the fatal incident. One of the incidents involved the movie’s props manager and another involved Baldwin’s understudy, according to the lawsuit.

The lawsuit contains a heated text message exchange between Guiterrez-Reed and Kenney about gun misfires, in which Gutierrez-Reed suggested reporting the incidents to production officials. In response, Kenney reportedly texted “errors happen” and advised Guiterrez not to “push”.

“Hannah interpreted this as the fact that Seth, who was referred to as the ‘armorer / mentor’ in the appeal sheets, wanted to sweep this security incident under the rug,” the lawsuit says.

Meanwhile, a homicide investigation by the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office continues. No criminal charges have been laid.

Guiterrez-Reed’s lawsuit comes weeks after his attorney, Jason Bowles, first suggested in an interview with “Good Morning America” ​​that “sabotage” was involved in the fatal shooting on set near Santa Fe, New Mexico. He did not cite specific evidence for his claim.

Santa Fe County Prosecutor Mary Carmack-Altwies told ABC News in November that investigators had found no evidence that sabotage was involved in the shooting.

In a December interview with ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos, Baldwin said he had “no idea” how a live bullet got on the set of “Rust,” a western he was also producing. . He also claimed that he “did not pull the trigger” on the gun that killed Hutchins and injured Souza.

“Someone put a live bullet into a gun,” said an emotional Baldwin, “a bullet that wasn’t even supposed to be on property.”


Comments are closed.